The Augsburg zoo is located in the southern outskirts of Augsburg near the recreational area Siebentischwald and has a total area of 22 hectares.
The zoological experiences of Augsburg already go back to the year 802, as an Indian elephant was given as a gift to the Emperor Charlemagne in the city by Caliph Harun al-Rashid.
The zoo in its current version was opened as “the German wildlife park” on June 12th 1937. During Second World War, the zoo was heavily damaged by Allied bombing and closed. After the zoo had been reopened in 1947, many exotic species were added.
Today the Augsburg Zoo presents over 1,600 animals from around the world and has more than 500,000 visitors each year.